Android Mobile Developer
We're an affective computing company focused on human data analytics, with offices in Downtown Boston, MA and Milan, Italy.
Our mission is to provide intelligent technology that is friendly, caring and more human.
We design and develop medical-quality wearable devices aimed to improve people's emotional well-being and save lives. Embrace2, our hero product, is the only wrist-worn seizure monitor cleared by the FDA, designed to help prevent SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy).
We believe in a work environment that fosters autonomy, mastery and purpose. We are a team of passionate people from all over the world bringing high levels of creativity to our everyday work.
Watch the recent TEDx talk delivered by our Co-Founder and Chief Scientist Rosalind Picard to learn more about the history of Empatica and what drives our commitment to great work: https://www.ted.com/talks/rosalind_picard_an_ai_smartwatch_that_detects_seizures_and_saves_lives
The new team playerWe develop sensors to understand human behavior in real time and in real life, focused on chronic neurological diseases. Empatica has provided the first beautifully designed, affordable and medical-grade wearable that uses advanced machine learning analytics to detect and alert seizures in real-time with Embrace for people living with Epilepsy. Embrace is linked to the wearer’s mobile device with a Bluetooth Low Energy connection. Our Alert App sends a notification to designated caregivers when a seizure has been detected, indicating the GPS location to expedite assistance.
The Mate App, which works in conjunction with Alert, allows for the tracking and maintenance of an interactive seizure history as well as an insight into the daily physical and sleep activity of the Embrace wearer. We are working towards offering a more predictive dimension to increase the life saving potential of our technology.
Empatica has also designed and builds the E4 wristband as a wearable research device used by the world's best research institutions, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies. Some of our past clients have been Nasa, MIT, Harvard and Microsoft, among hundreds of institutions. The E4 offers real-time physiological data acquisition through unobtrusive monitoring and software for in-depth analysis and visualization. Our clients have the opportunity to work with us to develop customized apps by using our mobile SDK and have access to raw data via our web portal.
Your contribution to the mission
- Be a thought partner and collaborator to the Android mobile team and learn from our senior members
- A highly productive programmer with great product sense who is not afraid to actively participate in product decisions.
- Able to learn, adapt and be comfortable with continually changing technology and improve our product to create the best possible user experience.
- Write clean, efficient, well-tested code that has quality, organization and automation
- You love building products that help thousands of customers day to day and help save lives
The ideal candidate for this role
- Accepts and understands the challenges of working with a technology that can impact (and hopefully save) the lives of people.
- Has experience with native Android application development and Java/Kotlin.
- Excels in writing modular, easy to understand code that follows good design patterns.
- Has experience in collaborating on software projects.
- Has solid knowledge of software development, especially in an agile environment.
- Is experienced in developing, releasing, and maintaining native Android applications (point us to your work in the Google Play Store).
- Is passionate about great UX and focuses on strong user-centric and responsive development
- Is experienced in developing testing suites, namely Appium, for Android applications
The ideal candidate for Empatica
- Is a very quick learner.
- Is a very quick learner (it’s not a typo).
- Is fun and easy to work with.
- Has an excellent execution mindset.
- Is a hard-worker and collaborative.
- Has outstanding planning, time management and multitasking skills.
- Is focused on quality and excellence.
- Is flexible in terms of working time.
- Is a problem-solving hustler who can take on any big or small project.
- Is passionate about our products and our mission.
- Is proficient in English (mother tongue is highly appreciated).
- Competitive salary
- The position is based at our Milan HQ. We also have an office in Boston, plus an amazing beach summer retreat in Sardinia, Italy!
- Free lunch - yes, being in Italy, it's something you should care about!
- Organic fresh fruit
- MacBook Pro
- Flexible work hours
- Free cookies, if you deserve them
- Much more...