Senior Data Scientist
We're an affective computing company focused on human data analytics, with offices in Downtown Boston, MA and Milan, Italy.
Our mission is to provide intelligent technology that is friendly, caring and more human.
We design and develop medical-quality wearable devices aimed to improve people's emotional well-being and save lives. Embrace2, our hero product, is the only wrist-worn seizure monitor cleared by the FDA, designed to help prevent SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy).
We believe in a work environment that fosters autonomy, mastery and purpose. We are a team of passionate people from all over the world bringing high levels of creativity to our everyday work.
Watch the recent TEDx talk delivered by our Co-Founder and Chief Scientist Rosalind Picard to learn more about the history of Empatica and what drives our commitment to great work: https://www.ted.com/talks/rosalind_picard_an_ai_smartwatch_that_detects_seizures_and_saves_lives
The new team player
We are looking for a seasoned Data Scientist with a passion for science and scientific discovery, who has solid experience in solving complex scientific challenges. If you are an independent, pragmatic, and goal- oriented person, and are able to achieve results in a timely manner, who also happens to be passionate about making a difference in the world, read on.
You will be involved in one of our R&D projects and will be working with our proprietary algorithms that, among many other things, are saving the lives of many epileptic patients every day. You will analyze and help solve challenging problems also by building algorithms to effectively measure outcomes and overcome obstacles.
Working at Empatica, you’ll have a real opportunity to improve lives around the world, as part of a tight-knit team that shares knowledge and is eager to keep learning and pushing to create top-notch products that have a meaningful impact.
If you jump on board, we can guarantee it won't be an easy ride, but it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your career; one that will allow you to learn a lot and test your whole skill-set on multiple projects, which are already helping thousands of people worldwide.
- Lead clinical and/or research initiatives to further improve Empatica's product offering.
- Guide or create IRB-proof protocols for clinical studies involving human subjects.
- Analyze physiological and behavioral data, associated with mental or physical diseases.
- Develop algorithms and predictive models for critical healthcare systems.
- Work on digital therapeutics systems.
- Manage external research projects with partner institutions.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a PhD in bioengineering or computer science. Preferred fields of application are: Neurology, Cardio-vascular diseases, Sleep analysis, Digital therapeutics, Fatigue detection, Pain monitoring and Depression.
- Has worked a minimum of 3 years with medical or healthcare data.
- Is experienced in managing R&D projects either in company or academic settings.
- Is proficient in signal processing, statistical analysis, and the development of machine learning algorithms.
- Has a proven track record of coordinating or taking part in clinical and/or research studies.
- Has strong programing skills in one or more of the following languages:
- Matlab, R, C/C++
- Python, Tensor Flow, Keras
- Has experience in healthcare applications, or a strong interest and desire to learn about them.
- Is proficient in English (mother tongue is a plus).
The ideal candiadte for Empatica:
- Is a very quick learner
- Is a very quick learner (it’s not a typo!)
- Is fun and easy to work with
- Has an excellent execution mindset
- Is a hard-worker and collaborative
- Has outstanding planning, time management and multitasking skills
- Is focused on quality and excellence
- Is flexible in terms of working time
- Is a problem-solving hustler who can take on any big or small project
- Is passionate about our products and our mission
- Is proficient in English (mother tongue is highly appreciated)
- Competitive salary
- The position is based at our Milan HQ. We also have an office in Boston, plus an amazing beach summer office in Sardinia, Italy!
- Free lunch - yes, since we are in Italy, it's something we really care about!
- Organic fresh fruit
- MacBook Pro
- Flexible work hours
- Free cookies (if you deserve them!)
- Much more...