QA Manual and Automation Engineer
We're an affective computing company focused on human data analytics, with offices in Downtown Boston, MA and Milan, Italy.
Our mission is to provide intelligent technology that is friendly, caring and more human.
We design and develop medical-quality wearable devices aimed to improve people's emotional well-being and save lives. Embrace2, our hero product, is the only wrist-worn seizure monitor cleared by the FDA, designed to help prevent SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy).
We believe in a work environment that fosters autonomy, mastery and purpose. We are a team of passionate people from all over the world bringing high levels of creativity to our everyday work.
Watch the recent TEDx talk delivered by our Co-Founder and Chief Scientist Rosalind Picard to learn more about the history of Empatica and what drives our commitment to great work: https://www.ted.com/talks/rosalind_picard_an_ai_smartwatch_that_detects_seizures_and_saves_lives
The new team player
We are looking for a QA Manual and Automation Engineer who is passionate about our mission and is ready to take responsibility for the quality of products that can save people's lives.
The perfect match for this role should understand the complexity and high stakes of working on medical-grade devices where ensuring the job is done right the first time is of utmost importance.
As a QA Engineer you will make sure that our products and systems are robust and reliable, so our team can quickly release new features and our users are satisfied with the quality of our products. We are looking for a person who can help us take testing to the next level and is able to automate part of the processes to make sure we can move fast. Your role will be the key to enable Empatica to release high quality software continuously.
You will be involved in:
- Reviewing product requirements, functional and design specifications to determine and prepare test cases.
- Joining and growing the QA team and spreading the passion for quality taking testing to the next level
- Testing mobile, web-based, and desktop solutions with the mindset of our end-user
- Checking every functionality of the product, you'll have the chance to learn the software inside and out
- Assessing the quality level of every new release of our apps
- Hunting down all the bugs with your QA logic mindset!
- Executing and enhancing release and testing plans
- Evaluating bug reports and reproducing reported issues
- Performing regression testing when bugs are resolved
- Working with devops to make sure the testing process is fast and seamlessy integrated in the development process
- Working with our data team to ensure research algorithms are behaving the same in both research and production environments.
- Proactively identifying opportunities to improve the test process.
- Growing and consolidating a testing culture within Empatica.
- Building and maintaining effective automated tools to run unit, integration and acceptance tests.
How the team works
The QA team plans its work in agile sprints. We agree on the focus of our quarterly work through OKRs (objectives & key results) and from there detail down our user stories and tasks. Working with FDA cleared products, the QA team is in close contact with both developers and the regulatory team and is often concerned with facilitating processes.
The QA team aspires to automate their work where reasonable using a range of modern technologies, to name a few: docker, cucumber, appium, typescript, ruby. We drive the vision for infrastructure that helps us spread QA across the company.
Why work at Empatica
At Empatica you will have the opportunity to work in a fast paced environment where your impact will be recognizable from day one. If you jump on board, we can guarantee it won't be an easy ride, but it will be one of the most rewarding experiences in your career, one that will allow you to learn a lot and test your whole skill-set on multiple projects, which are already helping thousands of people worldwide.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Has +2 years of experience in Manual or Automated Software Testing.
- Has experience in mobile testing (iOS and Android), Web testing (front end and REST API).
- Expects to find problems, not just to verify that everything is working fine.
- Constantly thinks of things that have not been tried and is expected to exercise parts of the software that may be weak or that may not interact well.
- Has experience in writing, executing and validating tests across the full test spectrum (functional, non-functional, regression, integration, performance, load, UAT, security).
- Has experience setting up and maintaining cloud based testing environments.
- Has experience configuring continuous integration environment such as jenkins, circle CI, codebuild.
- Has a technical mindset with a strong attention to detail. You will be goal focused, reliable and analytical working ambitiously with steadfast common sense.
- Is proficient in English (mother tongue is highly appreciated).
- (A plus) Prior experience working on testing of wearable devices.
The ideal candidate for Empatica:
- Is a reliable and effective worker; working in a fast growing startup is not for everyone.
- Is creative, fun and easy to work with.
- Is self-motivated, can excel in both unsupervised solo projects and in tight teamwork.
- Is passionate about our products and our mission, driven by customers’ needs.
- Has a growth mindset and learns quickly.
- Is a critical thinker and always questions dogma, status quo, and the conventional way of doing things
We expect a lot from you, but your efforts will be rewarded by great benefits:
- Competitive salary
- The position is based at our Milan HQ. We also have an office in Boston, plus an amazing beach summer office in Sardinia, Italy!
- Free healthy lunch – yes, being in Italy, it's something you should care about!
- Organic Fresh Fruits
- MacBook Pro
- Flexible work hours
- Gym membership
- Massages every week
- Free cookies, if you deserve them
- Much more...