Software Engineer - Frontend
We're an affective computing company focused on human data analytics, with offices in Downtown Boston, MA and Milan, Italy.
Our mission is to provide intelligent technology that is friendly, caring and more human.
We design and develop medical-quality wearable devices aimed to improve people's emotional well-being and save lives. Embrace2, our hero product, is the only wrist-worn seizure monitor cleared by the FDA, designed to help prevent SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy).
We believe in a work environment that fosters autonomy, mastery and purpose. We are a team of passionate people from all over the world bringing high levels of creativity to our everyday work.
Watch the recent TEDx talk delivered by our Co-Founder and Chief Scientist Rosalind Picard to learn more about the history of Empatica and what drives our commitment to great work: https://www.ted.com/talks/rosalind_picard_an_ai_smartwatch_that_detects_seizures_and_saves_lives
The new team player
As Frontend Software Engineer you will be responsible for building and extending the frontend of our customer facing web applications. We are looking for the right person to develop compelling user experiences that provide simple answers from complex data.
This is more than just a coding role. You will be part of a team who sets out what we build and how influencing discussions around architecture and playing a key part in the evolution of the platform. Opinionated, yet open-minded about new technology and you will be excited to play with the latest and greatest.
You will be involved in:
- Working closely with our design and product teams to brainstorm and discover where our products should go next
- Building rapid prototypes to validate designs and product ideas
- Implementing designs based on mockups, wireframes and branding guidelines
- Building reusable and modular components that can be used across Empatica's web application
- Testing web applications using state of the art tools
- Peer-reviewing architectural choices and team code
- Collaborating with backend engineers to build and maintain high-quality products
- Integrating REST API services within the web application
- Helping cloud engineers in making sure the frontend development process and testing pipeline is following up to date best practices
- Is proficient in English (mother tongue is highly appreciated)
Some technologies we currently use:
- Angular and AngularJs
- Did we mention we use also HTML and CSS?
Why work at Empatica
You’ll have a real opportunity to improve lives around the world, as part of a tight-knit team who share knowledge and are eager to keep learning and pushing to create top-notch products that have a meaningful impact. If you jump on board, we can guarantee it won't be an easy ride, but it will be one of the most rewarding experiences in your career, one that will allow you to learn a lot and test your whole skill-set on multiple projects, which are already helping thousands of people worldwide.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Has prior experience building responsive web applications (2+ years)
- Is fluent with one or more JS framework/library (Angular, React, Vue, ...)
- Knows how to manage a project with npm/yarn
- Has an exceptional judgment and instinct on design tradeoffs and balancing simplicity vs. extensibility
- Is focused on usability and user experience, including performance
- Has experience with analytics and monitoring tools for the web
Extra points if you:
- Have hands-on experience with complex Angular projects
- Are knowledgeable in building tools (Gulp, Webpack, etc…) and CI
- Have experience with progressive web apps
- Are used to unit tests, visual regression tests and automation testing
- Are experienced in CSS preprocessors like SASS and LESS
You are an ideal candidate for Empatica if you:
- Know that life is too short to do petty things. You feel an obligation to work on something that will leave the world in a better place.
- Discuss openly face to face: good ideas are more important than authority.
- Try to question dogma and the status quo: you prefer merit and objectivity over authority.
- Don’t give up a challenge, and persevere to overcome setbacks. You are focused on action and results.
- Think first about the success of our customers and team before your own interests.
- Have fun and don’t take yourself too seriously.
We expect a lot from you, but your efforts will be rewarded by great benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Top-notch equipment
- Flexible work hours
- Personal growth programs
- Free healthy lunch
- Amazing summer office in Sardinia
- Gym membership
- Free cookies, if you deserve them