Software Engineer - Frontend
We're an affective computing company focused on human data analytics, with offices in Downtown Boston, MA and Milan, Italy.
Our mission is to provide intelligent technology that is friendly, caring and more human.
We design and develop medical-quality wearable devices aimed to improve people's emotional well-being and save lives. Embrace2, our hero product, is the only wrist-worn seizure monitor cleared by the FDA, designed to help prevent SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy).
We believe in a work environment that fosters autonomy, mastery and purpose. We are a team of passionate people from all over the world bringing high levels of creativity to our everyday work.
Watch the recent TEDx talk delivered by our Co-Founder and Chief Scientist Rosalind Picard to learn more about the history of Empatica and what drives our commitment to great work: https://www.ted.com/talks/rosalind_picard_an_ai_smartwatch_that_detects_seizures_and_saves_lives
The new team player
As Frontend Software Engineer you will be responsible for building and extending the frontend of our customer facing web applications. We are looking for the right person to develop compelling user experiences that provide simple answers from complex data.
This is more than just a coding role. You will be part of a team who sets out what we build and how influencing discussions around architecture and playing a key part in the evolution of the platform. Opinionated, yet open-minded about new technology and you will be excited to play with the latest and greatest.
By working at Empatica, you’ll have a real opportunity to improve lives around the world, as part of a tight-knit team who share knowledge and are eager to keep learning and improving to create top-notch products that have a meaningful impact. If you jump on board, we can guarantee it won't be an easy ride, but it will be one of the most rewarding experiences in your career, one that will allow you to learn a lot and test your whole skill-set on multiple projects, which are already helping thousands of people worldwide.
Your contribution to the mission
- Working closely with our design and product teams to brainstorm and discover where our products should go next
- Building rapid prototypes to validate designs and product ideas
- Implementing designs based on mockups, wireframes and branding guidelines
- Building reusable and modular components that can be used across Empatica's web application
- Testing web applications using state of the art tools
- Peer-reviewing architectural choices and team code
- Collaborating with backend engineers to build and maintain high-quality products
- Integrating REST API services within the web application
- Helping cloud engineers in making sure the frontend development process and testing pipeline is following up to date best practices
Some technologies we currently use
- Angular and AngularJs
- Did we mention we use also HTML and CSS?
The ideal candidate for this role
- Has prior experience building responsive web applications (2+ years)
- Is fluent with one or more JS framework/library (Angular, React, Vue, ...)
- Knows how to manage a project with npm/yarn
- Has an exceptional judgment and instinct on design tradeoffs and balancing simplicity vs. extensibility
- Is focused on usability and user experience, including performance
- Has experience with analytics and monitoring tools for the web
Extra points if you
- Have hands-on experience with complex Angular projects
- Are knowledgeable in building tools (Gulp, Webpack, etc…) and CI
- Have experience with progressive web apps
- Are used to unit tests, visual regression tests and automation testing
- Are experienced in CSS preprocessors like SASS and LESS
The ideal candidate for Empatica
- Is a very quick learner
- Is a very quick learner (it’s not a typo)
- Is fun and easy to work with
- Has an excellent execution mindset
- Is a hard-worker and collaborative
- Has outstanding planning, time management and multitasking skills
- Is focused on quality and excellence
- Is flexible in terms of working time and ability to travel
- Is a problem-solving hustler who can take on any big or small project
- Is passionate about our products and our mission
- Is proficient in English (mother tongue is highly appreciated)
- Competitive salary
- The position is based at our Milan HQ. We also have an office in Boston, plus an amazing beach summer retreat in Sardinia, Italy!
- Free lunch - yes, being in Italy, it's something you should care about!
- Organic fresh fruit
- MacBook Pro
- Flexible work hours
- Free cookies, if you deserve them
- Much more...